Wednesday 27 November 2013

It's a jump to the left and then a step to the right


Here's the first in a series of blog posts from Susie, the Sleeping Beauty doll that we sent around the world last month. She's visiting our friends and fans across the globe to spread the word about our rock 'n' roll panto, which opens on December 13. You can book tickets here if you haven't already.

Dear friends,

Susie here. It was early on a foggy Friday morning when I set off from London and I was ever so excited. I'd never been on a plane before.

As I had got as far as London, I decided I still wasn't sleepy yet and I kept going. I wanted to visit an old friend of mine, the Count. You know, count Dracula.


Sleeping Beauty Rock'n roll Panto
Here I am with a portrait of Vlad Tepes, the historical character most often associated with Dracula

Oh, don't be frightened, he's nothing like that mean Mr Stoker made him out to be. The Count is an old softie, really. In fact, he lives in a charming little castle in the Carpathian mountains, deep in the heart of a real place called Transylvania. The name comes from Latin and it means, "on the other side of the woods".


Sleeping Beauty Rock'n roll Panto
Making my way to the Count's residence


The weather was a little chilly, but I found myself a pair of snug traditional peasant shoes, typical of Southeastern Europe. People here call them “opinci” – said “oh-pinch”. Despite them being out of fashion nowadays, they sure are cosy!


Sleeping Beauty Rock'n roll Panto
Traditional Romanian footwear - opinci. Very stylish!


I had a great time at Dracula's castle, despite the Count not being at home. It would seem he was on holiday in Barbados. Despite malicious rumours, he adores sunbathing.


Dracula's castle. You should go see it sometime!


I also made a lovely friend, Neli. She teaches literature, so she knows my story quite well. We had a lovely time, and we're currently going to our next destination. I'll tell you all about it soon, but now I'm a little tired, so I'm going to go for a nap.

Your friend,

Princess Susie


Sleeping Beauty Rock'n roll Panto
My new friend Neli and I on our day out

No comments:

Post a Comment